Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Tool # 11 Self Assessing and Reflecting

1. What are your favorite tools you now have in your personal technology toolbox? Briefly describe a particular activity that you will plan for your students using at least one of these new tools.

I learned how to capture images with PrntScrn and Alt PrntScrn, to drop these in Paint, and to paste them in digital documents when/where necessary.  This will be important for creating lesson materials and for helping students create documents and projects, especially now that iPADs will be available as cameras and/or for image selection and editing.  I would like to get more experience on handling images, limiting image file size, and making student journals of project completion with pictures throughout. 

I can see a need to look into video tools, which I have heretofore cravenly avoided.  Thankfully, I have colleagues who have become really good at this. 

Eleven tools has made me fairly proficient at posting a blog. I can see posting to a blog for each of my three courses, with student comments, and encouraging students to create blogs for their own interests.

2. How have you transformed your thinking about the learning that will take place in your classroom? How has your vision for your classroom changed? Are you going to need to make any changes to your classroom to accommodate the 21st Century learner?

I know that there will be 4 iPADs and 4 netbooks dedicated to my classroom.  I do not, as yet, know what other resources (COWs, computer labs) will be available to me on a regular basis.  I do not know if my engineering computer lab has been upgraded yet.  With class sizes of 20 to 30, 4 devices of any kind will not give all students much hands-on practice.

On the other hand, there is a cornucopia of available tools.  While some will disappear, a greater number will take their place.  I can only trot along and try to keep pace.

3. Were there any unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?

It took WAY longer to complete than I anticipated - two to three weeks!  Luckily, it was hot outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment